Sunday, October 7, 2007

The Benefits of Chess


My father told me that you learn to play chess for the same reason you learn math: To learn how to think. When I was five years old I didn’t care much about that; I learned to play chess because I thought it was fun. I enjoy teaching chess to the children at NNMS because I have fun doing it. Like must teachers, I also feel a since of accomplishment as each student masters a new idea or comes to class with a smile on his or her face.

To chess professionals it is no secret that teaching chess to children has become very popular in the last few years. While it is beneficial to many teachers, it is also beneficial for the students. It has long been held that chess helps to improve skills in the classroom, from higher reading scores to improvements in math. If you want to learn more, explore one of the following sites.

www.gardinerchess.com/publicationsbenefits/educational_benefits.htm

www.quadcitychess.com/benefits_of_chess.html

mysite.verizon.net/kaech/benefits.html

Despite what the research says about chess, the real reason to learn chess is for enjoyment. The fun in learning something new, mastering it, and the joy of playing with family and friends is what kids notice most when they learn the game. Extra benefits are for the adults to notice and praise.

Remember, when someone finds out you know how to play chess, he or she automatically thinks you’re smart. Maybe adults should be learning to play too.

No comments: